Sunday, August 24, 2008

New Big Buck Leader!


Last night we had a new Big Buck Record Breaker. Gedney Howe, IV, brought in this big buck. It had a dressed weight of 125.4 lbs. This buck was in velvet, but had already begun to rub it off. Over the weekend the velvet to clean ratio was about 50/50. People reported seeing bucks together with some in velvet and some clean. Click on the title above to see the history of the Record Breaker Contest. We've got pictures of the biggest bucks of the year all the way back to 1998. We are missing 99, 2000, and 2001 from our pre-digital days. If you won the contest in those years, dig out an old photo and send it in. In those days, the winner won their processing fee back. Now if you have the biggest local buck processed at Cordray's, you will win an engraved Remington 870 shotgun. Biggest ever was taken last year. Click below to post a comment, tell us who won in 99, 00, or 01 or to report on what you're seeing out there this year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow those imported high fence deer sure get big!

hayden said...

I bet the Big Buck leader is feeling really proud right now!

nfbennett said...

I just wanted to say that I don't believe deer killed in fenced in tracts should be allowed in the record breaker contest. Those same bucks are not eligible for official scoring into the state record book and/or B & C. To call that hunting is really an insult to true deer hunters. High fences don't allow deer to go where they choose to so they play an unnatural role in the deer's life. These deer also tend to lose their natural fear of humans. They are not tamed but they are not wild either. I could go on and on about this subject however I shouldn't have to...it is what it is. I'll just say this: I am 34 years old and have been hunting all my life. I would quit deer hunting altogether if high fence hunting was my only alternative. Thanks for your time.

Forrest Bennett
Mount Pleasant, SC
nfbennett1974@yahoo.com

lagoonboy said...

wow! these fenced in deer are very impressive!

Anonymous said...

If this is true then I have to agree. Just speaking for myself I couldn't shoot a deer that was enclosed!