Venison Cooking Safety Tips
- Always cook venison well done. Cook ground meat and cube steaks until the juices run clear. Roast should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160° F. Steaks should be cooked to at least a light pink internal color.
- Use care with utensils and dishes. Raw meat juices may contain bacteria. Never put cooked meat back on a tray or platter that has not been washed with soap and warm water.
- Wash your hands well after handling raw meat.
- Pregnant women may want to check with their obstetrician before eating venison. Certain diseases are carried in wild game that may cause problems in pregnancy.
- Like any meat, an offensive odor or "sticky" surface feel indicates raw meat might be spoiled.