Saturday, February 6, 2010

What ever happened to the chickens?


If you're a longtime blog viewer, you may remember last year's free range chicken experiment in the off season. We hatched baby chicks and watched them grow over the summer. The idea was that I'd sell fresh eggs in the shop once deer season started. It didn't exactly work. The hawks and foxes around here made off with quite a few chicks and it was well into the season before they were laying well. So I bought a flock of Rhode Island Red pullets - half grown teenager types. They've done great, but I've never gotten enough eggs to have spares to sell. I've been giving them away and we're getting good at egg salad! I plan to get a few more hens this spring and try again. This is about how many eggs I get in 2 days. I plan on trying it all again, but this time building a chicken house to keep them safe at night.

No comments: